Thursday, November 13, 2008

Proposition Opposition

Since November 4th, the Obama hype has settled down considerably. The Proposition 8 discussion, however, continues on with immediate backlash and side effects. People opposed to the outcome are speaking out in despair and outrage, some going as far as to boycott the entire State of Utah (which means not visiting here, buying products from Utah-based companies, or in any other way putting money into the Utah economy—it’s very similar to the embargo the US has maintained against Cuba since JFK). People proud of the outcome are “bracing for persecution” as one email put it. I have received more chain letters, heard more people discussing, and read more online about Proposition 8 since the election than I did pre-November 4th. Being a Mormon has made it even more interesting for me as I hear arguments for one side from friends and co-workers (many of who are not LDS, though some are), and arguments for the other side from friends and family (many of who are LDS, though some are not).


I absolutely oppose the church’s involvement in the Proposition 8 issue and in anti-gay marriage efforts in general. I’d like to state the reasons why, as well as address the reasons people have given me for supporting it, and maybe even ask a few questions to those who favor Prop. 8, since I am perplexed as to why so many Mormons support what seems to me an obviously unfair and unchristian measure. I’m open to discussion and alternative ideas, and hope to learn from this discussion as well as maybe open people’s eyes to a different way of looking at it.


However, my letter to Prop. 8 is way too long to post here, so I've created another page for it. Click here to read it, and feel free to leave comments or questions. It might be cool if you left them on this here magicbones blog as well so people could see them without having to surf the webular.

3 comments:

jamielyn said...

good for you hasen. nicely written post.

Caroline said...

"...I am perplexed as to why so many Mormons support what seems to me an obviously unfair and unchristian measure."

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I have seen so many so-called "Christians" throw the most important tenents of their religion out the window when it comes to this issue - brotherhood, peace, love, understanding, nonjudgment, etc. There is too much hate in this world to discriminate against someone for who they love -- doesn't that sound like something Christ would agree with? I wish more Christians felt the same way as you.

Anonymous said...

Just ran across your blog. I have really enjoyed it. I think that your letter is well written, and has many valid points. Just for arguments sake though - I wonder what you feel about a situation where a brother and sister (who are both consenting adults) want to get married? Or any other incestuous relationship for that matter. I think most people would argue that it's not natural or moral and that incestious couples should not have a legal right to be married. Many might argue that it is a potential health hazard for any children that couple might have together. The problem with that argument is it would also have to apply to non-related couples who have genetic traits that, when mixed, may cause genetic mutations in their children.

If the law allows for an absolute right to marriage for any consenting adults(for example gay couples)it would be argued that we must open that right up to everybody. Where is the line drawn between what is legal and what people consider to be natural or moral? If you are for the legalization of gay marriage, then you would have to be for the legalization of any other consenting adult couples who wanted the right to marry (brother/sister, brother/brother, father/daughter etc...). If not, wouldn't it too be discrimination and unchristian?

Just a thought. It is an interesting topic and like you say, not black and white. All I really know is that family values are incredibly important to me. No matter how it all works out.