Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Weaker Digits



My name is Hasen, some call me "Has" for short. One of my best friends is named Phil. Proceed.

Recently I was introduced to a girl named Lindsay. Here's how the conversation went. Oh, and I'm going to omit the use of quotation marks because right now the thought of typing out a long dialogue and having to keep reaching my pinky (one of my weaker and less agile digits) way over there while hitting 'shift' with my other weak and un-agile digit makes me want to cuss the p.m. word. The p.m. word is "puta madre" and, though not an English phrase, still constitutes a pretty heavy cuss:

Nice to meet you, Lindsay.
You too, Austin.
Hasen.
Haustin?
Haw-sin.
Hasen?
That's right.
You seem familiar, Hasen. Where do I know you from?
Not sure, did you go to Utah State?
Yes! Wait a second...were you friends with my roommate Melissa Shipp? (*side note: Melissa Shipp is a very talented concert violinist, and I once declared her the prettiest girl at USU)
You bet I was. My friends and I used to play music with her.
Wait, I remember you now. You're Hasenphil!
(stall, wait, brief silence, not sure how to respond, then...) Yup, that's me. Hasenphil.
Ya, I remember you!

I guess she remembered hearing Melissa talk about "Has and Phil" and always thought it was one in the same person.

4 comments:

Netti said...

Hasenphil. I love this story.

Ann Marie said...

It's perfect. Why didn't I think of it before? You guys are pretty much one in the same. That's so funny I'm laughing out loud here in the tea shop...a little embarassing. Thanks a lot, Has!

Kim & Clay said...

I'm now adopting your new nickname. It's kind of like the time a little kid asked me, "what's your last name?" and I said, "Cone." he paused for awhile then said with a confused look: "So, your name is Kim Cone CONE?"

Nicole said...

Wait, I think I know this Lindsay. Maybe not. I was once roommates with Melissa.